In October 1941, the Reformed Witness Hour produced and aired its first broadcast in Grand Rapids, MI. The radio program originated as a project of the Young Men’s Society of First Protestant Reformed Church and was known as the “Witness Hour.” It was broadcast over WLAV-AM for the first few years, but later moved to WFUR-AM. In 1945, the Young Men’s Society asked the consistory of First Protestant Reformed Church to sponsor the program, and since then the broadcast has been sponsored and supported by the whole Protestant Reformed denomination.
Rev. Herman Hoeksema was our first full-time radio pastor. During his more than 20 years serving with the Reformed Witness Hour, several additional stations began to broadcast the program, spreading our message to new listeners in states such as Pennsylvania and California and in regions as far away as the West Indies.
Today we broadcast on stations throughout the United States and on one station in Canada and on one in Northern Ireland.
Audio from the Reformed Witness Hour Rally in 2012